9 Ways Eating Processed Food Made the World Sick and Fat
If you want to be optimally healthy, you should spend 90% of your food budget on whole foods and 10% on processed foods. Unfortunately, most Americans currently do the opposite, and their health suffers as a result.
With most food, the closer they are to nature, the better. It's possible to have some processed foods that are still healthy like frozen green beans that have been "processed" as has butter and grass-fed ground beef.
In most cases, however, the term "processed food" refers to those that are chemically processed and made from heavily refined ingredients and artificial additives. Such processed foods are the bane of Western civilizations' diets.
9 Reasons Processed Foods
May Make You Sick and Fat
1. Processed foods are high in sugar and/or High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS)
2. Processed foods are designed to make you overeat.
3. Processed foods contain artificial ingredients
4. You can become addicted to processed foods.
5. Processed foods are typically high in refined carbohydtates.
6. Most processed foods are low in nutrients.
7. Processed foods are typically low in fiber.
8. It requires more energy and time to digest processed foods.
9. Processed foods are often high in trans fats and processed vegetable oils.
In addition there is the risk of the cancer-causing Acrylamide in processed food.
To Better Health:
Dr. Mercola, February 12, 2014